• About Us
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
Monday, May 25, 2026
  • Login
  • Register
Page3News Worldwide
  • Home
  • Page 3 Family
    • E-Paper
    • E-Magazine
    • Management Team
  • Subscriptions
  • Countries
    • USA
    • Canada
    • India
    • Balochistan
    • Thailand
    • UK
    • Australia
  • Language Wise News
    • Thai News
    • Punjabi News
    • Hindi News
  • Other News
    • World News
    • Latest Movie Reviews
    • Culture
    • Finance
    • Hollywood
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Fashion
    • food
    • Health
    • Travel
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Tech
  • Multilingual Editorial
    • English Editorials
    • Thai Editorials
    • Hindi Editorials
    • Punjabi Editorials
    • Page3News Special
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Page 3 Family
    • E-Paper
    • E-Magazine
    • Management Team
  • Subscriptions
  • Countries
    • USA
    • Canada
    • India
    • Balochistan
    • Thailand
    • UK
    • Australia
  • Language Wise News
    • Thai News
    • Punjabi News
    • Hindi News
  • Other News
    • World News
    • Latest Movie Reviews
    • Culture
    • Finance
    • Hollywood
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Fashion
    • food
    • Health
    • Travel
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Tech
  • Multilingual Editorial
    • English Editorials
    • Thai Editorials
    • Hindi Editorials
    • Punjabi Editorials
    • Page3News Special
No Result
View All Result
Page3News Worldwide
No Result
View All Result
Home World News

Hong Kong Welcomes 2026 Without Its Iconic Fireworks After Deadliest Fire

by Page 3 News International Desk
January 1, 2026
in World News
0
Hong Kong Welcomes 2026 Without Its Iconic Fireworks After Deadliest Fire
0
SHARES
7
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsappShare on TelegramShare on LineShare on Email

Fireworks have long been part of the citys celebrations for the New Year, Lunar New Year and National Day.

Fireworks are typically a celebratory centerpiece of Hong Kong’s New Year celebrations. Not this year.

The territory greeted 2026 without spectacular and colorful explosions in the sky over its iconic Victoria Harbor after a massive fire in November that killed at least 161 people.

The city’s tourism board instead hosted a music show Wednesday night featuring soft rock duo Air Supply and other singers in Central, a business district that also is home to the famous nightlife hub Lan Kwai Fong. The facades of eight landmarks turned into giant countdown clocks presenting a three-minute light show at midnight.

Fireworks have long been part of the city’s celebrations for the New Year, Lunar New Year and National Day. The pyrotechnic displays against Hong Kong’s world-famous skyline of skyscrapers typically draw hundreds of thousands of people including many tourists to both sides of the promenade.

Latest and Breaking News on NDTV

Rosanna Law, the territory’s secretary for culture, sports and tourism, acknowledged Tuesday that having no fireworks would affect some hotel and restaurant businesses.

Annie Wang, a tourist from Shanghai, said that although she had planned to watch the fireworks show, she understood the city’s decision because she found news of the blaze heart-wrenching.

“It’s quite regretful. But there’s no way around it after the fire,” said Wang, a university student.

Wang Miao, a teacher from the neighboring economic hub of Guangzhou, planned to join the official countdown activities in Central despite the absence of fireworks. She said it was a pity that she could not see pyrotechnics, but she could understand why.

“It doesn’t affect our experience in Hong Kong,” Wang said.

By early Wednesday evening, crowds of revelers had already gathered near the performance stage in Central, hoping to secure the best views of the musical performance.

The financial hub’s worst blaze since 1948 broke out at Wang Fuk Court, in the northern suburban district of Tai Po, in late November. The apartment complex was undergoing a monthslong renovation project with buildings covered by bamboo scaffolding and green netting.

RelatedPosts

Pakistan Must Withdraw from Republic of Balochistan: Mir Yar Baloch

Pakistan’s credibility under fire in US-Iran talks; Islamabad accused of playing both sides

21-year-old Nasire Best identified as White House shooter, believed he was Jesus

Authorities have pointed to the substandard netting and foam boards installed on windows as contributing factors in the fire’s rapid spread. Thousands of affected residents have moved to transitional homes, hotels and youth hostels, struggling to recover from the loss of lives and homes that took them years to buy. The casualties pained many residents across the city.

Past tragedies in Hong Kong have forced similar cancellations of fireworks. They include the 2013 National Day festivities following a vessel collision that killed 39 people on October 1, 2012, and the 2018 Lunar New Year celebration after a bus crash that left 19 dead. During the 2019 anti-government protests and the COVID-19 pandemic, multiple displays also were scrapped.

The origin of fireworks is believed to date to China in the second century BC, when someone discovered bamboo stalks exploded with loud bangs when thrown into fire, creating the first natural “firecrackers,” according to the American Pyrotechnics Association, a US trade group.

The Guinness World Records organization says the first accurately documented firework, the Chinese firecracker, was created by Li Tian, a monk from China’s Tang dynasty dating to around 618 to 907 CE Li discovered that putting gunpowder in enclosed hollow bamboo stems created loud explosions and bound crackers together to create the traditional New Year firecrackers to drive out evil spirits, Guinness said.

Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.

Unsubscribe
Page 3 News International Desk

Page 3 News International Desk

The Page 3 News is a Multilingual Worldwide daily newspaper founded in 2021. It is published in Bangkok, Thailand by the Page 3 News Thai Limited Partnership. Page 3 News is available to the world in all the three formats i.e. e-Paper, digital and print. The Page 3 News is having offices in many countries like Thailand, India, Canada, USA, etc. and is currently published in English, Thai, Hindi and Punjabi languages.

Related Posts

Pakistan Must Withdraw from Republic of Balochistan: Mir Yar Baloch

by Page 3 News International Desk
May 24, 2026
0
26

Claims military occupation, enforced disappearances and resistance movement continue in the region A fresh statement released under the banner of...

Pakistan’s credibility under fire in US-Iran talks; Islamabad accused of playing both sides

Pakistan’s credibility under fire in US-Iran talks; Islamabad accused of playing both sides

by Page 3 News International Desk
May 24, 2026
0
6

Pakistan’s controversial role in the US-Iran negotiations has triggered sharp criticism, with analysts accusing Islamabad of pursuing a dangerous double...

21-year-old Nasire Best identified as White House shooter, believed he was Jesus

21-year-old Nasire Best identified as White House shooter, believed he was Jesus

by Page 3 News International Desk
May 24, 2026
0
1

The motive behind the attack remains unclear, while the report said he was mentally disturbed and believed he was an...

Dozens feared trapped after nine-storey building collapses in the Philippines

Dozens feared trapped after nine-storey building collapses in the Philippines

by Page 3 News International Desk
May 24, 2026
0
1

30 to 40 people were reported missing based on information from ​the ​site foreman Dozens of people are feared trapped...

Deported Gaza flotilla activists allege abuse, sexual violence in Israeli prison; sparks global outrage

Deported Gaza flotilla activists allege abuse, sexual violence in Israeli prison; sparks global outrage

by Page 3 News International Desk
May 24, 2026
0
0

Israel’s prison service has denied the allegations, with one of its spokesperson calling them to be "false and entirely without...

F1 legend Alain Prost injured in suspected robbery at Swiss home

F1 legend Alain Prost injured in suspected robbery at Swiss home

by Page 3 News International Desk
May 24, 2026
0
1

The police said that several balaclava-wearing intruders broke into the house and threatened the occupants. They "inflicted minor head injuries...

Facebook Twitter Youtube Instagram Tumblr Pinterest

Page 3 News Multilingual Worldwide

The Page 3 News is a Multilingual Worldwide daily newspaper founded in 2021. It is published in Bangkok, Thailand by the Page 3 News Thai Limited Partnership. Page 3 News is available to the world in all the three formats i.e. e-Paper, digital and print.

The Page 3 News is having offices in many countries like Thailand, India, Canada, USA, etc. and is currently published in English, Thai, Hindi and Punjabi languages.

Category

Calanderwise News

May 2026
MTWTFSS
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Apr    

© 2024 Page 3 News - First Multilingual Worldwide Newspaper based in Thailand.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

*By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • E-Magazine
  • Management Team
  • Subscriptions
  • E-Paper
  • World News
  • Balochistan
  • USA
  • India
  • Thailand
  • Canada
  • UK
  • Australia
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Disclaimer

© 2024 Page 3 News - First Multilingual Worldwide Newspaper based in Thailand.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.